Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Maybe Not Too Late

when I awoke and gasped for breath I struggled to remember
a thing that I had meant to do so long ago somewhere in the past,
some promise I had made, and I was drenched in icy sweat

now, how could I have forgotten, how could I have delayed
maybe, I thought, it's still not too late…
if I really try my best

maybe it's not too late for all those things I never did
for all the apologies I did not mean
all the places I have never been

perhaps not yet too late to search for
that which was so easily avoided for so long
still there may be time enough to craft myself that Happy Ever After

when I looked round with loudly beating heart
and breaths drawn quick and shallow with a buzzing in my ears
oh sweet jesus let it be...not yet too late for me

as I strive to remember all those things I absolutely cannot leave undone
the time for their completions, once so long and far away
it seems, may have somehow simply slipped away

should I fail to complete them, if their time has past
the meaning of the rest of me is certainly diminished
and the empty blackness will be my just and final state

when I awoke and cast about in fear and nervous tension
I sensed a trap I had not even seen
until it had grown well beyond very late

I looked about quite anxiously for help
but there were no grownups standing by
I felt so alone and frightened, how might this mistake have happened

quite late it seems, quite dark and still
but my sudden, yet far beyond tardy, urgency surges
maybe, oh please just maybe, let it be not already way too late, way too long ago for me

No comments:

Post a Comment