Thursday, January 23, 2014

The Lights Of Home


Sometimes I almost see them again like I did, from across our lake, driving back home at night
The kids all yelling while the dogs are jumping and her smile so warmly surrounding me
Keep stumbling back on those thousand little details I never really had time for, so long ago
Did not realize then how much a part of what I was, they really were

The lights of home that made things seem alright - not too bright but still so warm
It was so good to have somewhere to be, a place where they were always glad to see me
Funny how I could not see it so well back then, maybe it was all just too close for me to focus
Yeah, the many little things that made life worth living, each so small when viewed alone

Shutting down my old car once more, my hands all full, back safe in that little front yard
Tired but home again, where they knew me well and I could help out and not be in the way
The TV news on in the background, with all that crazy stuff we could always pretty much ignore
Sitting down once again at that old table, all together over supper, and what is going on?

I guess back then it didn’t take a lot to fill us up with a real sense of comfort and security
How good it was to have those lights that led me back to that warm, safe place every day
The details of our daily life grounding and protecting us from those clouds of dark confusion
The lights of home and knowing they were there, just down that old road to the quieter shore…

No comments:

Post a Comment